24 August 2008

Lamentations of a First-time College Dad

I always thought I would be much older when this happened. It hasn’t even happened yet, and it won’t for a few more days, but already I’m feeling the loss created by sending my first child out the door as she goes to college.

For 18 years and 4 months, we have loved and nurtured our first child and only daughter. I have all kinds of cute, heart-warming, and adorable pictures of our little girl. Some of my favorites (the ones that I most strongly associate with her) show her hair in pig tails. I’m not including those here because this isn’t a wake (well, and the fact that she’d be mighty displeased with me if I did that to her). She’s only going to be 20 miles down the road, but her day-to-day presence will be greatly missed.

I’m happy for her that she is realizing her dreams of attending BYU. I’m happy (and even a little jealous) that she has this great adventure ahead of her. I’m happy with the progress she’s made as she’s grown up from a delightful little girl to a beautiful young lady. As I reflect on my own transition from home to college, there was an awful lot I still had to learn. As we stand on the brink of her transition, I have to wonder if we taught her everything we should have -- if we gave her enough of an head-start on life skills -- so that this transition will go smoothly. If she has demonstrated anything at all in the past few years, it is that she takes on new challenges with gusto, that she adapts, works hard, and uses her noggin. All her life thus far, we’ve been right there with her as she has experienced the trials and the joys of life. Now she’ll keep having those experiences (probably in greater temporal concentration) and we won’t be there to sympathize, empathize, console, cheer, and thrill with her. I think she’ll be fine. I think. No, I know she’ll be fine. It’s us (the rest of us) that are going to have the harder time adjusting.

Does anyone have advice for the first-time college dad -- especially one who is prone to wax sentimental and wishes he could control more of his daughter’s life?

5 comments:

MelBroek said...

Oh daddy! I'm crying here! That is mean. And actually, I realize that I was absolutely adorable as a little, pig-tailed girl, so post away. I'd love the reminder. :)

Anonymous said...

This is doing nothing to help me remain in denial about the fact that our daughter will be leaving shortly! Stop! Stop! Stop!

Andrew said...

My advice is to let go. Real men can show their emotions. Crying is encouraged. There is such a thing as good grief. Just ask Charlie Brown.

Steve said...

Jerome, you've expressed my feelings very well. We will have to commiserate together. This 'oldest child (daughter) leaving home' experience isn't going to be easy.
Steve

Anonymous said...

How well I remember ........................