19 October 2008

Path to a Delightful Nowhere



It was mid-October, and one day before a storm was to roll in. I decided that this might be my last good opportunity to capture Fall colors this season, so I made the trek up the local canyon to do some work in the early morning light. I made some satisfying captures at the intended place, and then drove back. I couldn’t help but stop periodically, as I saw scenes worthy of feeding to my camera.

At one stop, I walked around and found a trail that led into a grove of aspens. I hesitated for a moment; I was overly cognizant of the time, and my life is over-sheduled. Casting aside my other responsibilities, I walked down that path for a short while before I saw yet another path branch off to the left. I quickly glanced down that path while walking, and then had to stop and take the unplanned turn. A few feet further, my tripod legs stretched out to meet the ground (seemingly on their own). My lens pretty much aimed itself, too. Three aligned exposures and some software “developing” later, I ended up with this. I could hear no signs of humanity and, except for the little path before me (and some names carved in nearby aspen trunks), I felt delight at having found nowhere.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this photo, Jerome. I think it is a perfect illustration for Robert Frost's poem - "The Road Not Taken." You know the one that starts out "Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both…" I think we need to print this one and hang it somewhere in our home! (Sandra)

Anonymous said...

Hi Jerome!

I am in total agreement with Sandra. I have often tried to find a photo to go with that poem, and this one is IT! Thanks for sharing. It is absolutely breathtaking!
Roma